Monday, January 2, 2012

The Final Week (Monday January 2, 2012)

Seven days till race day!

Its a little less then one week till the Marathon begins. Training is now unofficially over because all I am doing this week is some light jogs to keep my body loose and prepared. I ran this morning in the freezing cold a distance of about four miles. Did you know that it is actually easier and better to run in the cold as opposed to the heat? Just thought I would let you know because I found that interesting.

Its crazy that training is over now. Training lasted two years and one month (25 months), and now its time to rest and get ready for the goal. If you were to ask me two years ago if I could ever see myself running 26.2 miles without stopping, my answer would be "Good Gosh No!" But somehow God has given me determination and will power that I never knew I had. Having support from Friends and Family has been a major part of my success so far in this. I could not have done it without you all. Running long distances and keeping a good Diet are only a portion of the tools it takes to achieve something like this. The main source for success is support and encouragement from friends and loved ones. That is one of the biggest things I have learned on this journey. Thank You All!

Here is a schedule of events this weekend at Disney and my personal schedule. I am putting the Disney events down in case anyone is interested in running any of these in the future and you can have an idea of what the weekend is like.

Thursday January 5, 2012: My wife and I will be flying out of Knoxville that night to Orlando. We will meet my parents and brother down there and go to a hotel. That day they will be having a bunch of little races for young kids at the ESPN Wide World of Sports. (I will obviously not be participating because I am to old.)

Friday January 6, 2012: We will be going to play in the park this day and have some fun and relax. Hopefully I won't even be thinking about the race. They will be having the Family 5k race on this day in EPCOT. (I will not be participating).

Saturday January 7, 2012: I will be going to pick up my packet at the EXPO in the Wide World of Sports. The EXPO will have all kinds of displays of running and health and fitness. Then we will go down to see my grandparents who are staying in Lake Placid. Lake Placid is an hour and a half south of Orlando. I will mostly be resting, eating Pasta, spending a little time on the lake, and watching a little of the NFL playoffs. We will head back to Orlando that night to get a good nights rest. That morning they will be having the Walt disney World Half Marathon. (I will not be participating). Some people will be running both the Half and Full Marathon. It is called the Goofy Challenge.

Sunday January 8, 2012: I will have to get up at 3 or 3:30 A.M. to get on the bus to go to the starting line. I have to be in my group by 5 and the Race begins at 5:30 A.M. I hope to finish it in 5 hours. I will be running through all the Disney Theme Parks. After the Race I will rest for a while because I am going to be in some pain. I hopefully will get to watch the Giants play the Falcons in the playoffs (Go Giants, yes I am a fan) and Shaunah and I will go celebrate that night.

Monday January 9, 2012: that Morning we will get on the plane back to Knoxville and the long journey will be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment