Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Walt Disney World Marathon (26.2 Miles of Magic)

Growing up I traveled numerous times all over the United States to witness sporting events. I traveled from Phoenix Arizona to New York City and from Dallas Texas to Orlando Florida witnessing events like the College Football National Championship Game, The Daytona 500, The NCAA Tournament (First Round), The Cotton Bowl, NFL Games, The Major League Baseball Playoffs, and many more. Recently I got the opportunity to travel for one again, only this time I was a participant as opposed to a spectator. Yes, on January 8th, 2012 I participated in the Walt Disney World Marathon.

Obviously, the Walt Disney World Marathon is nothing compared to the BCS Championship Game, The NCAA Tournament, or the Daytona 500, and as a matter of fact its not even the biggest Marathon in the world. However, with the amount of energy that Disney put into the race it felt like participating in one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Walt Disney World has run the event now for 19 years and every year the event has grown in popularity. This year 25,000 runners participated in the Marathon. Many more runners came to participate in the Half Marathon and the Goofy Challenge (both Half and Full). With these numbers the Disney Marathon has grown to be one of the top Marathons in the world and makes an average Marathoner like me feel like they are apart of something special in the world of athletics.

I had to wake up at 3:00 A.M. to get on the bus that transported me from my hotel to the starting area in EPCOT. I went to the Parking lot at EPCOT where the race head quarters was located. I dropped my bag off and waited a little while with all the participants making our final preparations for the long journey ahead. We then proceeded on a twenty-minute walk around the back of the parking lot over to the start line that was located on Epcot Center Drive. There were eight corrals that were labeled alphabetically based on the runners pace. I was starting in corral D. There were four TV screens so we could see what was going on up at the start line. They did all the pre-race activities then brought Micky, Goofy, and Donald up to send us off. My group went off fourth. We walked up and Micky gave us the countdown and sent us off. The Start line lit up with fireworks and fire that created an electric and energetic start to the race.

The first two miles went on EPCOT Center Dr. with spectators and a high school band to cheer us on. We then looped around to the EPCOT parking lot and down the main strip under the Monorail with people on both sides giving encouraging words and cheers as we proceeded into the park and under the big ball (Spaceship Earth). We proceeded down the middle of the park and took a left on the world showcase and exited out the back and around the ride Test Track. We then went back out to EPCOT Center Drive down the other lane in the same direction, only this time we stayed straight and proceeded to the Magic Kingdom.

At mile Seven we entered the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot and the Disney Transportation and Ticket Center. The Sun was beginning to rise and with Characters, Displays, and screaming fans all over the place we began our journey around the Seven Seas Lagoon. This is a lake where the Magic Kingdom, The Transportation and Ticket Center, and many Walt Disney World Resort Hotels are located. Right before we entered the Magic Kingdom we hit mile marker 10, this was the first area they had a locator that we crossed that updated our location to anyone who was following. This was cool because my brother up in Tennessee was able to follow me. After mile 10 we entered the Magic Kingdom and proceeded down Main Street USA. This was one of the best parts of the race. There were people and characters everywhere as we ran straight towards Cinderella's Castle. We took a right and went into Tomorrow Land, which is the home of Space Mountain. Next came the journey through Fantasy Land and the run through Cinderella's Castle. This is wear they shot pictures of the runners and a big place for spectators. we went over into Frontier Land and out the side of the park.

Outside I got to see what goes on behind all the scenes with the rides. we looped around and ran back with the Transportation and Ticket Center and the parking lot on the left and Disney's Magnolia and Palm Golf Course on the right. The Course is home to a PGA Tournament every fall. this was wear mile 13 was located, which is important because this is the halfway point of the race. 13.1 miles down and 13.1 miles to go.

After the magical journey through the Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom Resort Area we went down the back road of disney that mostly only employees see. this was the calmest and most remote part of the race. I called this part the Super Stretch and they had plenty of entertainment and displays to keep us motivated. This was also the site of the first food station were I got a Banana to boost my energy and fill my stomach that was getting empty. Another couple of miles down the Super Stretch and we saw were Disney does a lot of their stuff with Horticulture and plants. It was kind of neat to see the parts of the park that not many people know about. we hit miles 14, 15, 16, and 17 and I was surprisingly feeling good. I thought this was wear I would begin to feel fatigue but I was feeling good as we entered Disney's Animal Kingdom.

We entered through the back into the Africa themed area to a couple of guys playing an African beat on the drums. We took a left and went to a display of Africa's neighbor Asia. This is wear Minnie Mouse was located with many runners stopping to get their picture taken with her. After Asia came Dino Land USA followed by the exit out the side of the park. The Animal Kingdom had the least amount of energy of the four parks but it had a really nice landscape trying to imitate the landscapes of Africa and Asia. There were all kinds of cool trees and plants. We went around the parking lot and passed mile 18 and surprisingly this is wear Micky was located. If I was not so focused on my time I would have stopped for a picture.

We hopped on the Osceola Parkway that runs through the park. We passed mile 19 and proceeded to the Wall. The Wall is the nickname for the 20th mile because runners say that reaching this mark feels like running into a wall. they had a big board with all kinds of encouraging words written by friends and family to help us push ourselves on the last 6.2 miles of the race. We ran by a little ESPN display were they put us on camera and two people standing there giving commentary like ESPN analysts. Being on camera really gave me a boost of energy because I was beginning to feel fatigue. Next we went on the exit ramp and there was the Toy Story Toy Soldier Commander pushing us on and I gave him a high five as he pulled the drill seargant on me. My momentum was increased now and I was ready to conquer the last five miles of the race.

We hopped on World Drive and took the exit ramp to East Buena Vista Dr. This would lead us to Disney's Hollywood Studios. We came in around the back and got refueled at the final food station. It was great I got a little Mini-sized Dark Chocolate Bar. We ran down the part of Hollywood Studios that was themed like New York City. I looked up at the Empire State Building and was tempted to hop on the Subway, even though it was not real. We turned left and went by the ABC building and under the Giant Fantasia Hat. People were everywhere down Hollywood Blvd because now the parks were open to anyone who wanted to come in. Families and Disney Employees were clapping and cheering as we exited the park and ran down the side walk that went under the road. We followed a little lake that led us to the Board Walk.

We hit Mile 24 and Fatigue and weariness had finally hit. I began to cramp in my Quads and breath harder. It was going to be a fight to the finish. We ran through the boardwalk and my tiredness was really kicking in but the overwhelming cheers and support of the spectators that were now everywhere gave me the will to fight it. The feeling was there, just two miles away from the goal. The feeling of the accomplishment that was so close just took over. I put my head down and used every part of my body and energy to fight.

We entered EPCOT in the back at the World Showcase after the last water station and there it was, mile marker 25. It was the now time for the homestretch. The moment I had trained for 25 months for was just around the corner. My Dad and Brother were right were I entered EPCOT. I can still hear my Dads words, "Your almost home" in my head. I ran around the World Showcase going through displays of Germany, France, Italy, the USA, China, and Mexico. I could feel it, the end was near. I came around to the middle of the park to proceed down the main path towards Spaceship Earth. I saw my Beautiful Wife, my Mom, Dad, and Brother there. this gave me great encouragement as the goal was almost met. I ran down by the big water fountain. people were everywhere as we went under Spaceship earth and took a right and exited towards the parking lot.

As I came around the corner there was a gospel choir signing joyous songs as the course was winding down. This brought great excitement as I saw the biggest sight a first time Marathoner could see, mile marker 26. 26 miles down just .2 to go. I rounded the last corner and saw the finish line. My left calf
muscle began to cramp, but I did not care. Only one thing was going through my mind, the 25 months of hard training, dedication, discipline, and perseverance had payed off. I crossed the line. It was done, I had accomplished my greatest feat as an athlete, 26.2 miles, a Marathon. I finished the race in 4 hours 30 min and 59 sec. I had beat my goal of 5 hours by almost 30 minutes. I got my medal and my picture taken and walked on to the reunion area to meet my family. The Journey was over and the deed was done.

I went that night to celebrate in the parks. It was great seeing all the runners wearing their shirts and medals. We all knew that we had accomplished something great. A couple of years ago I thought I could never do something like this. Now, it was done, I could only thank God for the ambition, determination, and ability to run. This is my story of seeking adventure and pushing myself beyond the limits. I encourage you all to start your journey and seek adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment